Ice Cream

1 1/2 qt. whole milk
1/2 qt. whipping cream
2 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
2 T gelatin
1 T vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt

Soak the gelatin in a little cold milk.

Scald the milk with the sugar and egg yolks, stirring to prevent burning.

Pour hot mixture over gelatin mixture; add salt, stir and cool.

Whip the cream and once the milk mixture has cooled completely, add it to the whipped cream with an egg beater. Add vanilla, and freeze in an ice cream maker according to directions. 

If you don’t have an ice cream maker, try to stir as often as possible once it has started to freeze.

Pioneer Mom's Note: Nothing beats this on a hot day! My family would like to ask me to bring this homemade ice cream every time we have a family gathering, if only they thought it was polite! Maybe its the taste of the ice cream, or maybe its the sight of me cranking that old antique ice cream maker; I wonder which it is.  :) 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious. Now, I am hoping to meet you on a day where you are making ice-cream (ha!).

    How's it going about maybe having to move? I am hoping you can stay where you are as it seems you are so well settled.

    ReplyDelete